SAVE HOOT GIBSON

Sunday, October 23, 2022

The Last of the Lost?

 I almost typed that this would be the last post for Mesa Verde Times. I'm not going to do that because you never know what'll show up in future as we learned the other day. This blog, folks, has been the absolute highlight of my entire life. I've been through many adventures and many struggles but Mesa Verde Times always comes back to keep me going and so does Ed. 

Most of you have no idea that Ed and I hadn't talked to each other for five years when I started this blog. We had a falling out over something crazy and acted like idiots to one another. I started this blog and then reached out to him to join me in posting this adventure and it healed our friendship. It also galvanised it. I was extremely lucky to gain his friendship back and enjoy his company for a short time before cancer took him away. All because of this grand adventure. 

 Now I'm alone in posting these forgotten pictures but I feel like he's seeing them too and reading my posts from somewhere in the great beyond. I keep expecting the phone to ring and he says "Nice post, Man! That was funny as hell". I keep expecting to see his comments on it shedding more light on the subject. Someday. 

 I'd like to thank every single person who ever read this blog and felt inspired by it. Hell, I'll even thank the people who hated it for giving us fun comments to read. Ed loved to meet people and answer questions about our adventures. He loved to spread the joy of it all. 

You made a hero out of Ed Barlow. You made him feel important as a true Disney fan. A Disney Cult Legend. A title that he was very proud of. I thank every one of you "Last of the Cool People".

- Dave "Hoot Gibson" Ensign

The last Picture of Hoot and Chief


5 comments:

  1. Ending this run of photos with a pic of Chief is a great way to honor him and it's cool that you posted it. I'm also happy that you are keeping this blog alive for the future because it's a thing I loved back in the day and it'll be great to have it to look forward to. I have a great memory of hanging out with you guys that one night way back in Orlando (was it a place called Taste?) It was a great night and very cool to meet you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you both. Thank you for carrying on his legacy. 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel you on this Hoot. I have a very close friend of mine who I had a falling out with over something incredibly stupid several years ago and we didn't talk for a few years except to occasionally spew insults at eachother. I eventually reached out to her and apologized and despite a number of small disagreements we've had over the years, we've remained friends. Life is too short to stay pissed at someone you cared enough about to let into your life in the first place. She has had a number of health issues in the past few years but has come through for me during hard times or when I've been in a bind. I am extremely grateful we are still friends despite our differences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not old enough to have even lived a year in the 90s and it saddens me that I was born 3 years after Horizons closed. Yet, I find this immense love in the ride as if I did once ride it back when it was around. It speaks to me and it speaks to my heart. But I would never have known about Horizons if it weren't for you and Chief. And I wish to thank you for it. And in my heart I thank Chief for it too. Horizons has inspired me to reach for the sky, even if something feels impossible to achieve. You and Chief have inspired me to appreciate something that's loved and to go the extra mile to make sure it's cherished forever. You guys did that with Horizons, not only for yourselves to cherish it, but for many others as well by sharing your adventures. I know it's stating the obvious but I just wanted to give you my own personal Thank you, to the both of you. My life would be in a different spot if I hadn't known about Horizons and its message. I hope life keeps on leading you down brighter horizons.

    ReplyDelete