SAVE HOOT GIBSON

Thursday, July 19, 2012


There were a lot of times when we would go all the way to EPCOT Center only to find that the park was crowded. Finding a big enough gap was hard and some nights it didn't happen at all. We'd stand in the Horizons load area for hours waiting for a chance. This video is a great example of a short gap. Not much time to document things. Things get much better on our second attempt coming up next.

A special thanks to Chris Wallace for this comment:

DO YOU REALIZE HOW HELPFUL THIS IS TO ME?! More than ANY other ride through video Ive seen. You captured so much of the stuff guests ARENT supposed to have looked at - which is exactly where the "blind spots" in my reference have been. That god almighty you guys had the forethought to video tape the "unimportant" stuff, or shooting from afar (before or after the scene had passed) to get more things in the frame. AND THE LIGHT!!!!! Do you realize there was virtually no way for me to know how those dark transition areas really looked? Or how they were textured? Now I know! (the lumia transition scenes from the omnimax theatre and the seam between the projection wall and the reflective soffit!!
That's exactly why we decided to share this stuff in the first place. Use it, people! HORIZONS RESURRECTED 

7 comments:

  1. In response to chris (who's work is amazing, and I wish I'd get off my butt and start my own like that), the shame is that you can't do that with anything else. Also, unlike these two boys here, no one else has the guts to jump out, or in the case of cast members, don't care enough or won't show anything for fear of reprisal. I'd love for any and all of this footage; for me, it's research into how this is designed and planned, how to understand it, and how to make it better. I just wish there was more to find...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could put out a DVD of all your vids. It would be a best seller!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, these latest videos are like tying the rubber strap around the arm and injecting a sweet drug of Horizons goodness. This stuff should be put in the Smithsonian as a record of not only an important tangible thing that no longer exists but really also as a historical document of how optimistic our 1980s/90s society was about the future. I'm serious about that by the way - the fact that you guys did all this and still have the vids and photos is really something special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6:47 "It's gonna be great on tape."

    And it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good sweet lord - first of all, thanks for the very kind shout out. Second of all, this video is a absurdly helpful. I wonder how many people can actually recognize what they're looking at in this video? By now, I know the layout of this place like the back of my hand, so I can recognize every frame. And having reviewed countless video footage and still images, I can say that this video contains an enormous number of images that *do not exist anywhere else.* Think about that! It may seem like mundane stuff, but I don't know if anyone (inside Disney or out) has pictures of these "unnoticed edges" or "scene outskirts."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad Chris Wallace has disappeared from the face of the Earth. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. If someone has a copy of Chris Wallace's unity thing, can you link it? His website's been down a while, and Archive.org doesn't seem to store them...

    ReplyDelete